The Phoenix League - MLB The Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home to The Phoenix League -Sony's MLB The Show's premier online baseball league

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

****SEASON ONE CHAMPION - LEOKILLZ - RED SOX****SEASON TWO CHAMPION - WICHIWICHIPAI - BLUE JAYS****SEASON THREE CHAMPION - WICHIWICHIPAI - MARINERS****SEASON FOUR CHAMPION - BBISSETTE19 - BRAVES****THE PHOENIX LEAGUE IS CLOSED****ALL GAMES PLAYED OR RESOLVED****PHOENIX LEAGUE FOREVER!!!!****

Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...

Go down 
+4
Leokillz
damilkmanpart2
mikeda1940
head5745
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: YO!   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Mike, that's not it at all. The problem with the play is that it doesn't really give you an option as the defensive team. When the runner takes the huge lead, you have three options, 1 the simulated throw to second (which once you start you can't stop in the middle of the throw allowing the runner to just take off to third), 2 go to the plate, or 3 step off and throw to second. Throwing to second allows him to take off and get to third before the ball even reaches second base. The other option is to go to the plate but the lead is so huge that he reaches third before the catcher even gets it. Ideally you should be able to step off the mound and throw a quick strike to second base. The problem is that when you step off he takes way too long to throw the ball to second base. You can keep him from stealing if you just step off but he can just go back to second. It's when you eventually go to the plate that he can nab 3rd. Where is the risk for taking such a huge lead? I believe when executed correctly it is an unfair advantage to the runner. This is not equivalent to the real game.
Back to top Go down
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

PostSubject: YO!   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 pm

This is not about LEO, it is about our league and how to make it even better than it already is.
Back to top Go down
damilkmanpart2

damilkmanpart2

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 pm

mikeda1940 wrote:
Ya, remember that Beltran guy? Wonder what ever happened to him! Very Happy

To me, the term "glitch" gets overused. A "glitch" to me is a program flaw that violates the rules of the game. That's a more narrow definition than just "harder to defend than real life". And it needs to be more than "cheese" when we are talking about rule changes (something head has NOT called for).

In my admittedly limited experience, there are TWO (and ONLY two) "glitches" in the gameplay. The first is the quick pitch. The reason being it violates the definition a of balk where the picher has to come to a complete stop before thowing. Balks don't exist in this game, therefore MLB rules are violated.

The second "glitch" is the lack of a real hit and run in the game. If a player at first runs, and the batter swings, not only does the player never hit the ball, but the pitch is AUTOMATICALLY counted as a BALL. Again, we have a pure violation of MLB rules on balls and strikes.

What I hear often, both here and public forums, is not so much a "glitch" as an unrealistic or unatural play. One that does NOT violate the MLB rules per se, but plays that react differently in the game than they do in real life. This includes complaints that a pitcher won't throw strikes, the squeeze play, early steals, etc. These are the plays you usually see on MLB Blooper reels as unusual, but they DO exist in the real world. There ARE defenses against them, but they require knowlege and skill.

The difference to real life seems to be in the CONSEQUENCES. You don't see these plays often because, in real life, players will be grilled, managers fired, newspaper columns written, TWIB video tape sold for $9.99 at K-Mart. For Major League players, risk can cost them millions and their careers. Being too bold, aggressive, or reckless on Sportsconnect means someone has to answer only to himself.

So, I'm seeing this thread as "consequences". If it inspires Leo not to act on this play, then it worked. I'm not inclined to exclude by rule changes anything that is not a "glitch" (we don't have a rule for hit and run, but only because I realized the issue to late, and it never became an issue. If Leo was exploiting the hit and run glitch, we would be having a different discussion.) I don't want to exclude plays just because they're "hard".

Now, if you can fit my definition of "glitch" into this play, I'll reconsider. As I said, I'm willing to experiment to see if it fits my definition or not. So I'm not concluding this discussion. I'm just makings sure people understand the standards I'm using.
Mike just want to give my 2 cents. Mike Mike Mike, u will not fully understand the play until u are holding a remote in hand and u see the play for ur self.. I don't consider it a glitch but a "cheese" is what it is... Remember "Street Fighter" "Mortal Kombat", full of cheeses used over and over again to gain the upper hand on the opponent. Usually the only way to stop it was to cheese back. Please SEE and FEEL the play first before comparing it to my man Beltran....
Back to top Go down
mikeda1940
Admin
mikeda1940

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:57 pm

I've always been able to defend against aggressive baserunners (dispite all the other flaws in my game) but I'm not sure I've seen this play. Maybe I have, maybe I haven't. I'm willing to experiment.

Leo says there is a defence. So lets see.

It makes no sense to me to restrict a legal play because its hard (if thats what this is).
Back to top Go down
https://thephoenixleague.forumotion.net
head5745

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:36 pm

The problem here is the game is flawed (or glitched) in that choosing to throw to second base to check on the runner commits your pitcher to the base the whole while your fielder is making his move. Once the base runner sees this, he swipes the 3rd.

Your Beltran example was a straight steal of third off of a normal (I'd even say conservative) lead.
Back to top Go down
WichiWichiPai

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:44 pm

No recording but here's a pic of what'll happen as soon as u attempt to pick off runner at 2nd... (series 5 game 1 vs Leo).....by the way i say "stop" unless Leo shows us how you can stop it
Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Mlb09_14
Back to top Go down
head5745

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Exactly, you are frozen there as a pitcher while your 2b breaks for the bag (which is how Leo or whoever uses the play knows when to break to third).
Back to top Go down
Leokillz

Leokillz

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Ok, now I'm home, We can keep talking about this nonsense, Here's the way to stop it: there's 2 ways the most logical one, the one that is used in the real game is cover the base. You go to the pause menu go to fielder's positioning and select the "cover 2nd base" option; by doing this it will prevent me from taking the lead and also the defender gets a lot quicker to the base picking the guy off. The next one is the one I use mostly: leave that guy along, he ain't going nowhere, I don't care how big a lead U take there's no way to steal 3rd on a straight steal, and I'll show U that later today. I've never seen anybody have a str8 steal of 3rd (wich I think is a glitch play or flaw of the game), the only way to steal 3rd is if either U quick steal or U do what I do...
Back to top Go down
head5745

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Which is cheap and takes advantage of players who are unaware of what you are doing.

Which is the main reason I made this thread, to make people who haven't had it happen to them aware of it before it does happen.

I asked mike to notify players (especially new guys) of this thread, but he didn't think that necessary.
Back to top Go down
head5745

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Leokillz wrote:
First of all: Head, I'm not mad, I actually find this topic funny. And second of all, I don't think it's an illegal or foul play because it's stoppable, at least I can stop it; I dare anybody in the league to do it to me, and I bet U it won't succeed, and no I don't have to step off a million times, maybe once or twice, is all about timing.

But U know what? I ain't going to go again into the He said she said. I respect all of U (well at least most of U LOL) so here's the deal, after this post I want everybody's comment to be a vote; I don't wanna hear about how bad it is anymore just say STOP, or I DON'T CARE, if STOP get's the majority, I won't ever do it again against U guys.

Please cast Ur votes.

Stop

Thanks for making this simple and democratic.
Back to top Go down
Leokillz

Leokillz

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 5:30 pm

that's it, that's all I needed to hear. I'm sorry if it disrupted U Head Embarassed. I won't do it again. I'll still show it to Mike, so he knows exactly what We were talking about...
Back to top Go down
Leokillz

Leokillz

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Case closed PLEASE!!!
Back to top Go down
head5745

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 6:05 pm

No need to apologize to me. I just wanted to get the thoughts of everybody on here. In fact, I might just use your gimmick in an exhibition game!
Back to top Go down
bbissette19

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Leo-

I have to say this. I have not been in the league long and you and I have also had our differences but with that said, Isn't it ironic that you are always in the center of controversy. Could you tell me why that is and please don't say it is because people are jealous.
Back to top Go down
Leokillz

Leokillz

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I guess I like to be the center of attention lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...   Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Notice of questionable play to all Phoenix League players...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2