The Phoenix League - MLB The Show
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home to The Phoenix League -Sony's MLB The Show's premier online baseball league

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

****SEASON ONE CHAMPION - LEOKILLZ - RED SOX****SEASON TWO CHAMPION - WICHIWICHIPAI - BLUE JAYS****SEASON THREE CHAMPION - WICHIWICHIPAI - MARINERS****SEASON FOUR CHAMPION - BBISSETTE19 - BRAVES****THE PHOENIX LEAGUE IS CLOSED****ALL GAMES PLAYED OR RESOLVED****PHOENIX LEAGUE FOREVER!!!!****

This time I agree with Leo

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

This time I agree with Leo Empty
PostSubject: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 am

I don't usually throw my opinion into these type of situations but I feel I must...for whatever it's worth. Will is a very very good player and plays the game the right way. There is nothing cheesy about the way he plays the game. With that being said, every time I played him, whether in the regular season or in the playoffs, the connection was very tough to play with. Not taking anything away from him, but there were many many times that my timing was thrown off at the plate or I gave up runs because the pitching meter would hiccup and cause me to put pitches in a much more hittable spot than I intended. I don't mean in the way that comes with playing a video game online, I mean it was almost impossible to put a pitch exactly where you wanted it. It made it especially tough to get in a groove on the mound. Now that doesn't mean that I would have won if the connection was clean but it certainly didn't help. Don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but it's frustrating to play a 90 game season and then have to play a playoff series under those conditions. There were many times I wanted to just quit the game out of frustration. Just my thoughts, Leo I feel your frustration Wink
Back to top Go down
Leokillz

Leokillz

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:51 am

I finally get U to agree with me, after 4 season, I think this is the first time U do agree with me. Thanks I appreciate the support.
Back to top Go down
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

PostSubject: YO!   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 am

No doubt. Sorry for the double post, I realized it should have posted in "League Discussion" after the original post.
Back to top Go down
mikeda1940
Admin
mikeda1940

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:58 am

We've discussed this before but, I have three questions I want answered:

1) Finish this sentence: Keeping in mind that both players are affected, he way we should treat laggy games is......

2) Yes or No: We should allow players to quit playoff games without consequence.

3) Yes or No: If a player quits the League, we should take him at his word.
Back to top Go down
https://thephoenixleague.forumotion.net
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

PostSubject: YO!   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Mike those are all good questions and I don't have the answers to them, at least not a the moment. I posted my comment because I understand why Leo is so frustrated. Would I have quit a game or the league because of it is a different matter all together. I do feel something should be put in a place where a player could be brought to the bootum council if their connection is too laggy. Again I don't mean the run of the mill SC sucks connection problems, I mean the no one can get a clean game against you connection problems. Let's be honest, some connections sucks because of the server others suck because of the internet speed or location of a particular player. Whatever the reason, if it's impossible to get a clean game against you it should be looked into.
Back to top Go down
Leokillz

Leokillz

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Quote :
1) Finish this sentence: Keeping in mind that both players are affected, the way we should treat laggy games is......

...to not play unless the connection is acceptable; keep restarting until is fixed if it can't be fix DON'T PLAY.

Quote :
2) Yes or No: We should allow players to quit playoff games without consequence.

NO. I didn't ask for the game to be annul nor cancelled, I said "give him the game". We started that game after midnight, and I was not gonna play a 5 hour long game.
if U think further punishment was required fine. But don't be bringing previous {EDIT} into the matter; that's what ticked me off. It seems that the only one who can't complaint is me.

Quote :
3) Yes or No: If a player quits the League, we should take him at his word.

Yes. Even thou U put me on the situation to do it by saying "play or quit" and since I didn't want to play laggy games I chose the latter. But it's all good, no hard feelings at all, I'm at peace with my decision.

ADMIN EDIT: Language
Back to top Go down
mikeda1940
Admin
mikeda1940

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 pm

The whole issue of lag is SO subjective. Who's fault is the lag? Prove it. And, even if it is Will, and he can't improve his connection, boot him? Will, who has been one of the most honest players in the league this year? Thats our best option?

ALSO, Leo was losing 9-0. I'm REALLY supposed to throw the whole game out? How do I police if there is really lag or just frustration?

If I do allow restarts, and players can't get the games in, am I supposed to extend endlessly?

Logistically, there never appeared to be a good way to deal with lag other than to play through. Joba Chamberlain played through the killer flies in Cleveland, there is paper swirling in Citifield. Rain, snow even. On an EQUAL playing field, and with an admitted lack of control of improving the connection, it has always been my only option.

And Leo, I apologize also for bringing in the last 4 years, but I was EXTREMELY disappointed to go through this again. In a year and a half, we have not had one clean playoffs. Plus, for whatever its worth, I was sick and running a fever this weekend. Not that I would have changed anything Very Happy , but my fuse was short at that moment.

I still wish, though, that you chose "play".
Back to top Go down
https://thephoenixleague.forumotion.net
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

PostSubject: YO!   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:23 pm

I agree with you wholeheartedly Mike, but playing through some lag and having it have a serious impact on who makes the playoffs or moves on in the playoffs is a different thing. What the hell are we doing this for if that's gonna be a BIG determining factor in who wins. I remember a play in our series where my 1st baseman had a ground ball hit to him, he picks it up, stands there like he's waiting for an invitation, and then throws obviously too late allowing a run to score and the inning to continue. Now this kind of stuff happens fine, but when it happens too often it's a problem. I agree, it's part of online baseball, but there's gotta be a cutoff. I propose starting next season that bad connections are brought to the bootum council, and if enough players are saying that your connection is a serious problem then...IDK man, I just love this game, love this league and want them both to be as good as possible.
Back to top Go down
willdog26

willdog26

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 6:42 pm

if you choose to enforce lag, each player needs to submit connection speeds, the council needs to decide what are appropriate speeds and then you govern from there.

example given:

league standard for upload speeds=1.0 meg with a .2 deviation
league standard for ping speeds=less than 65 with a 10 deviation

if a player cannot meet these speed requirements they should not be voted into the league.

on the flip side of this you run into the problem of limiting the amount of dedicated players that are recruitable to this league. any online game you can get away with a .5-1.0 upload speed without any problems, this is evident in primarily first person shooters. Fortunately for us, the show requires really somewhere between 1.0-1.5 upload and 55 or lower ping speeds.

In my situation the upload speed is fine, i have no problems with first person shooters, but where i am thinking I have problems is with the ping from the Mountain West to the East Coast. those speeds are slower and thus there are hiccups in the game play.

if this is something the league wants to implement by next season you might need to have an assistant commissioner to resolve these issues, because it will take up a lot of time to deal with the constant lag issues we have between individual players connections and sc servers.

in additional to all this, the connection speeds need to be taken at various times during the day as load on the servers variates greatly. the internet is much like rush hour traffic if you will. there are definitely bad times to be on.

another thing is that there will be no way to police the sc servers, we simply will have no access to them and there is no guarantee sc will improve these by end of this year or by release of MLB11 the show. they are free for a reason, no maintenance or upgrade is put into them regularly.

if a player can't maintain these speeds then there will be ground for bootum council, but that requires evidence and screenshots and speed tests to be ran before each game. it could turn into a huge hassle, especially if this league embarks on another long season.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/willdog26forlife?feature=mhw4
REDSOXNATION22

REDSOXNATION22

PostSubject: YO!   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 10:00 am

It's not that complicated. I'm merely suggesting that we keep an eye on it and if enough players are having a hard time getting a clean game against a particular player then we look into it and at that point people may have to submit the info you're talking about Will. We don't necessarily have to boot'em, but it shouldn't be ignored either like it doesn't have an affect on our league.

But we can look into this more next season...Congrats again Will and good luck in the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
BeamerCA

BeamerCA

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 am

Just my 2 cents.
There are 2 things with connection problems that can be tried.

#1 Make sure you are running your resolution at 720 and not 1080

#2 A wireless connection is not as dependable as a wired
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This time I agree with Leo   This time I agree with Leo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This time I agree with Leo
Page 1 of 1